It's easy to transfer data from your old iOS device to your new iPhone or iPad, especially when you have a backup in the iCloud cloud storage. However, this process can take quite a long time. In this article, we will tell you how to transfer data as quickly as possible, so that later you do not make any effort to configure the system.
Let's simulate a situation in which you, for example, want to change your old iPhone 4s or 5 to a new iPhone 7 or iPhone 7 Plus and transfer all your data to it.
1. Current firmware
We recommend that you first install the latest firmware for your old iOS device. In order for absolutely all data and settings to be completely transferred from the old to the new gadget, both devices must have identical software (ideally the latest version of iOS). You can check the installed software version by going to Settings -> General -> About this device -> Version.
BY THEME: How to reflash iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch in iTunes or "over the air".
2. Creating a backup
Connect your old iPhone or any other iOS gadget to your Mac or PC and launch iTunes (you can download iTunes for your computer on this page). Go to the tab with the connected gadget and in the left side menu "Settings" select the "Browse" menu. There are two ways to create backups via iTunes: to iCloud or directly to your computer. Use the second option, because a local copy is made many times faster than using an Internet connection.
The procedure is as follows:
1. Select this PC backup method.
2. Click on the " Create a copy now " button.
3. Wait until the backup is finished.
3. Data recovery
Immediately after purchasing a new device, turn it on and connect to your PC or Mac. Launch iTunes, which prompts you to set your iPhone as new or recover from an iCloud or iTunes copy. Select " Recover from iTunes Copy " and select the latest current backup created on your computer.
After entering your Apple ID login and password once and then restarting the iPhone, all you have to do is set up Touch ID, because fingerprint data is not transferred to any servers or from device to device, and is stored exclusively on one gadget.
On this topic:
- How to restore contacts and other information to iPhone without backing up to iTunes or iCloud.
- ICloud and iCloud Drive backup, what's the difference?
- How do I delete backups stored in iCloud?
What to do with your old iPhone
There are two options - either continue to use it or sell it. In the second case, the easiest way to completely clean the device is to reset it to factory settings:
1. Disable the Find iPhone function in the iCloud settings on the iOS device along the path: Settings -> iCloud -> Find iPhone.
2. Go to Settings → General → Reset → Erase Content and Settings. The firmware will be reset to factory settings, all content will be erased, and the Activation Lock feature will be disabled.
- How to check if an iPhone or iPad is connected to iCloud (Find iPhone).
- How to play a track or album in a circle on iPhone, iPad and iTunes on Mac OS X, Windows.
- How to quickly switch from mobile to full site in Safari.
- How to disable or “forget” a Bluetooth device on iPhone and iPad.