In this article, we will try to tell you in detail what a jailbreak is, its types, advantages and disadvantages. Jailbreak is literally translated from English as "Prison Break". Jailbreak is a process by which it becomes possible to freely access the file system, in simple words, it is jailbreaking the firmware of the iPhone, iPad, iPod Touch. Many people confuse Jailbreak with Unlock (unlock, unlock, unlock), but these are completely different things. Read more about Unlock here.
- the ability to install applications from Cydia - tweaks that, for one reason or another, cannot be officially published in the App Store. There are hundreds of great plugins out there that allow you to completely change the look and feel of iOS as well as extend the functionality of your iPhone or iPad.
- the ability to install hacked paid applications from App Sore for free;
- the ability to unlock (unlock, unlock) the iPhone to work with any SIM-cards of mobile operators. Unlock via jailbreak is relevant only for the first iPhone models (up to iPhone 4).
- Best jailbreak tweaks reviews
- How to jailbreak.
Jailbreak is legal and completely legal, at least in the US. In the summer of 2010, the US government decided to make jailbreak legal. What harm can jailbreak do? The worst thing that can happen when trying to jailbreak is iPhone freezing. Some users believe that this is irreparable, in fact, it can be easily brought into working order, for example, using this instruction.
Disadvantages of Jailbreak
- iPhone and iPad with jailbreak cannot be updated to the new version of iOS;
- the device with a jailbreak is NOT COVERED under warranty, but you can always return it to factory settings using iTunes. Apple service staff will not be able to prove that your device was jailbroken.
- untethered (full, untethered) jailbreak works (does not "fly off") after rebooting the device. This is the main difference from tethered jailbreak.
- tethered jailbreak works only until the device is rebooted. In case of shutdown or reboot, the device will not turn on again ("hangs" on a white apple when booting). To turn on and normal operation, you will need to boot the device using a specific program. All data on the device (programs, music, videos, etc.) will not be damaged in this case.
In recent years, hackers have not made tethered jailbreak tools available online.
Jailbreak Frequently Asked Questions
Q: can i use iTunes and App Store after jailbreak?
Answer: Of course you can! Jailbreak does not affect access to the App Store in any way. The most important noticeable change will be the appearance of a new application on your device - Cydia;
Q: what is Cydia?
Answer: A separate article is devoted to this issue on our website. But, in short, Cydia's features are the same as those of the App Store. It hosts applications from developers whose applications for placement in the App Store were rejected by Apple for one reason or another. Cydia also has paid apps, but most are free. Applications (tweaks), ringtones and themes are available for installation.
Question: How to remove the jailbreak?
Answer: Restoring (flashing) your device (instructions) to the official firmware will completely remove the jailbreak.
Question: how much does the jailbreak program cost?
Answer: All jailbreak software, hackers distribute for free, sometimes with a request for donation.
Read about how to untethered jailbreak on iPhone, iPad and iPod Touch in this section.