2023 Author: Gordon Kinson | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-06-04 23:58
At Apple Stores, Apple reseller stores, and various technology trade shows, brand new devices are neatly laid out on display tables so you can get a good look, and sometimes even touch them. These iPhones have been on sale a lot lately. Is it possible to buy such devices and how do they differ from ordinary ones?
What is iPhone Demo?
iPhone Demo Not For Resale (or Demo iPhone, iPhone Demo, demonstration (showcase) iPhone) is a special version of the iPhone designed to be installed on display stands in Apple stores or official reseller points.
How to distinguish an iPhone Demo from a regular one?
On the technical side, demo iPhones and iPads (iPhone Demo) are the same as those that end up in the hands of customers. As a rule, they are placed on special charging stands and run under a special version of the OS. It will not work to buy them from an ordinary buyer, because stores receive demo samples directly from the manufacturer. When a new model of a gadget comes out, the old one is removed from the showcase, and a new one is placed in its place. However, it is quite easy to buy a display case from advertisements or in small online stores.
The demo devices are shipped in a special box that looks exactly like the packaging of a regular new iPhone with some differences.
iPhone Demo model (listed on the back of the box and in Settings under About this device) starts with a number, for example, 3D065Z / A, while a regular new iPhone model always starts with the letter "M" (for example, MQ8L2PM / A) in detail
to the right of the model identifier on the iPhone Demo box there is an inscription: Demo - Not For Resale
- Showcase iPhones and iPads are always equipped with the minimum storage space.
- The iPhone Demo has a special version of the OS that does not allow you to uninstall or download any applications to them, although the devices already come with preinstalled third-party programs. To make it easier for a potential buyer to familiarize themselves with the applications, they have already been loaded with data. For example, Videos have films, and Books have tutorials on how to use Apple products.
- Demo iOS does not allow you to change some device settings (for example, you cannot set a password to unlock or add a fingerprint), and from time to time a splash screen appears on its screen. That is, you will not be able to fully use an iPhone or iPad that is not intended for sale.
The iPhone demo kit (headphones, cable, charger, adapter, etc.) is no different from the usual one.
IPhone XR Demo Unboxing Video
How to Install Normal iOS Version on iPhone Demo (Reflash)?
Usually sellers of demo versions of iPhone prepare the smartphone for sale in advance and install the usual version of iOS. But if you come across a sample with a demo version of iOS, then it can easily be turned into a full-fledged one. To do this, you need to install a new firmware on the device in DFU mode.
Detailed instructions on flashing in DFU mode can be found here and here.
After flashing the demo gadget will turn into a full-fledged ordinary device.
- IPhone Silent Mode vs. Do Not Disturb Mode are the differences.
- How to sell an iPhone or iPad correctly, or the first thing to do before selling.
- How to check if you bought a new iPhone (activated or not)?