2023 Author: Gordon Kinson | [email protected]. Last modified: 2023-06-04 23:58
Everyone is already accustomed to the fact that Yandex, Google and Apple are following us. They claim they are doing it with the best of intentions - to offer us better advertising products. It's another matter when your parents, boyfriend or acquaintance are constantly trying to track your movements using the iPhone. How do they do it, and how do they stop it?
In most cases, along with the donated iPhone, you are immediately presented with the created (with or without your participation) Apple ID. As a rule, girls and children rarely pay attention to this. So keep in mind that persons with access to your Apple ID account can spy on your movement at any time. Many people don't like this.
Many young people, as well as parents, specially give their girls (children) an iPhone tied to their (or specially created) Apple ID for the purpose of tracking.
Naturally, this feature will be very useful for monitoring elderly parents or schoolchildren.
How can I be spied on using my iPhone?
Everything is very simple. On iPhone, the Settings app has an iCloud section with Find iPhone. It is this option that allows people with access to your Apple ID to receive location data.
In addition, there is one more condition - Geolocation must be enabled on the device (Settings → Privacy → Geolocation Services).
If both conditions are met, then it will not be difficult to see the information about the user's location, for this you need to:
1. Log in from any computer (you can also from a smartphone or tablet, but more difficult) to the icloud.com website.
2. Enter your Apple ID and password.
3. Click on the Find iPhone application.
4. In the lower right corner, select the Hybrid option, in case Apple maps are not yet detailed in your region.
Everything! The green circle on the map is you, or rather your iPhone.
Moreover, the person who gave you a phone with a specially created Apple ID account, if desired, can easily turn the iPhone into a "brick" (he can remotely erase all data from the smartphone and lock it).
To do this, just press "Green circle", then on "i" and in the window that appears, select the option Erase iPhone.
Such a smartphone can only be restored by the attacker himself. Here is a real-life example of such a story.
In the My Friends app
Also, the My Friends application allows you to watch you, which can be configured on your iPhone in a matter of minutes, for example, when you left your phone to a friend and left. We have described in detail the operation of the My Friends application in this article.
How to stop spying on me on my iPhone
1. The most important thing is that you must have your own Apple ID (instructions for creating), the details of which no one else knows except you. This is perfect.
2. You can change the password for your existing Apple ID, but you must be sure that your friend or parents cannot recover it again. You can reset (recover) your Apple ID password using security questions (they are asked when registering an Apple ID, but can be changed at any time), using e-mail or contacting Apple technical support.
3. Disabling Geolocation (Settings → Privacy → Location Services) and Find My iPhone (Settings → iCloud) will also make tracking on icloud.com impossible. However, it should be borne in mind that if the geolocation services are turned off, you will not be able, for example, to use navigation or track the location of the smartphone if lost.
4. If your Apple ID was added to Family Sharing (for example, by the person who gave you the iPhone), check to see if you share your location with them. If so, if you wish, you can disable it by going to Settings → Apple ID (your name) → Share location.
To do this, in the list of users, select the person with whom you are sharing your location and disable the option.
Top Rules for Safe Ownership of Apple Devices
Your Apple ID must be entered in the iCloud settings on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac. NEVER sign in to iCloud with someone else's Apple ID
- Never ask anyone to create an Apple ID for you. Do it yourself using this detailed instruction.
- Never, under any circumstances, share your Apple ID information with strangers (and sometimes loved ones if you are not sure about them).
- Your Apple ID password shouldn't be too simple.
- Check your Family Sharing settings (what information you share).
- You must remember by heart the login, password and security questions for the Apple ID.
- You must have unimpeded access to the e-mail box to which your Apple ID is linked. Access to e-mail must be protected by two-factor authentication using ONLY your phone number.
- Find Friends, or how to view the location of friends on iPhone and iPad.
- 10 common mistakes when using iPhone and iPad.
- Why iPhone and iPad batteries cannot be discharged to zero and how to properly charge iOS devices.
- How to buy games and applications in the App Store from a mobile phone account.